Oct 3, 2024

Interview with Paul Gold


e:  Paul Gold
Age:  45
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
# of trips to India: 9, I think.
Current Location: Toronto, Canada
Your yoga shala: Ashtanga Yoga Shala Toronto
Established: 2002
Practice with help from Rachelle, 2013.


What was your first impression of Mysore practice?
It felt very authentic and exotic at the same time.

A Mysore room was quieter than any yoga class I’d ever attended. All I could hear was the sound of breathing and the occasional whisper of the teacher.

When I first started practicing in 1995, there were no Mysore classes in Toronto; so, my first months were in led classes. When I got to my first Mysore class, even though I had done loads of led classes and had memorized the sequence, the experience of not having a teacher leading me through practice made it apparent that I had a very distracted mind. It was very hard for me to keep my eyes on my own mat. It was equally difficult to keep my practice moving. I would dawdle and lose the vinyasa constantly. I hadn’t realized the extent that I’d become dependent on the teacher’s voice to move me through my practice.

I clued in that Mysore practice was going to require me to be a much more self-motivated student than I ever had to be in a led class.

What inspired you to get started?
My interest in yoga practice started in 1995 out of a bad break up with a woman whom I had been seeing on-and-off since I was sixteen. Let’s just say that when things finally blew up, I was suffering and was keen on doing some personal work to ensure that I would never be in such a messed up relationship again. So when I saw a pamphlet for a yoga studio in my neighbourhood, I thought “yoga is supposed to be good for me. I think I’ll check it out.” The rest is history.
Toronto, 1996.



What did you like about ashtanga yoga? 
I loved the vinyasa and loved how the movement between asanas forced my mind into a more meditative state that had the result, after class, of greater peace and clarity. In effect, just trying to get through class was enough to make thinking about anything else impossible; so, after practice, I would notice that I hadn’t thought about anything for 90 minutes and gained some valuable perspective on my life.

What was hard about it?
Everything was hard. Before starting yoga, I was as an avid alpine skier who skied moguls all day long. I have very bowed legs and limbs that don’t entirely straighten. I also have wrists that don’t bend. Add to the above a stiff back, tight hamstrings and tight shoulders from playing bass guitar. So, everything was difficult for me. It was a festival of resistance, soreness and intense sensations. The only thing that I could do, almost from the first day, was lift up and jump back. The fact that I persevered is really incredible when I think back. I must have strong yoga samskaras from past lives.
Feeding cows in Gokulam, 2009.


What keeps you inspired?
The benefits of practice keep me inspired. For 20 years, I’ve seen how practice makes my life better than it would otherwise be. When I practice, I have more equanimity and that keeps me coming back to my mat. Early on, I noticed that when I busted my ass on my mat and was humbled by the effort of practice, I was more patient and compassionate with others off my mat. That was a huge connection between my practice and my life off the mat. It was very inspiring to see that the benefits of yoga weren’t just limited to the physical realm.


What do you keep with you from your time with Guruji?
I am grateful that I had the opportunity to practice with Guruji many times. My time with him is really the heart and soul of my practice. I can’t imagine what my life would be like if he hadn’t been so dedicated to sharing this method. He is The Source for me and I’ll always be indebted to him for changing my life.
With Rachelle and Guruji, 2003


What do you keep with you from your studies with Sharath?
I have learned from Sharath that steadiness and consistency are the true measures of one’s practice. He has also taught me to be quietly confident in my abilities. I respect Sharath’s dedication to continuing his own practice and sharing Guruji’s teachings. Sharath works so hard and gives so much of himself to others. It’s really incredible and I admire and respect him so much.


What advice do you have for beginners? 
1. Focus on your own practice and measure your progress from where you’ve started not from some preconceived idea of where you feel you ought to be.

2. Stay aware of how yoga practice is affecting other areas of your life off the mat… like your sleep, temperament, digestion, sex drive, and courage. There are so many ways that practice benefits us if we pay attention.

3. Find a reason to practice and to keep getting on your mat that is outside of progress in yoga asanas and you will reap the true benefits of yoga.


What books do you recommend people read?
Edwin Bryant’s edition of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.
Bhagavad Gita – Ramakrishna ashram edition with commentary is quite good.
Yoga Mala by Sri K Pattabhi Jois
In Search of God by Swami Ramdas
Our old Shala in downtown Toronto.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts